Thursday 21 May 2015

Oh no! Women Were Turned Away at Cannes for Not Wearing Heels


The Cannes Film Festival dress code has folks upset after several women attending the affair were allegedly barred from entering the event because of their footwear. According to Screen magazine, a few women in their 50s were turned away at a red carpet screening of Carol because they dared to not show up in stilettos.

Of course, heels are uncomfortable for everyone, but there are also women who physically cannot wear them due to health reasons. Seems a little insensitive to exclude them from an event for a medical issue.

BuzzFeed mentions a 21-year-old woman who was also denied entry into the festival for her flats, which she says she wore due to health reasons. “I can’t wear heels so I had put on beautiful silver flats. I was told that because I didn’t wear heels I couldn’t walk up the.red carpet,” she said. “I [told him] I couldn’t wear heels and he asked for an invalid card, that’s what shocked me.”

The Cannes festival has come under fire over the years.for not featuring as many films by female directors. This rule certainly isn’t helping their sexist boy’s club image.

From: The fashion spot

I feel its wrong to have turned back older women who complained of health issues. But then, their rules are strictly their rules right? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment